Saturday, October 31, 2009

Question about funeral?

My Father In-law passed away yesterday and I have to make a bunch of arrangments and all kinds of stuff, I have never had anyone close to me pass away. Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me. We are having the funeral tomorrow and the service on Friday I ordered food for Friday as I know people come back to the house but do I have to order food for tomorrow night will people be coming back to the house I am not sure what to expect and what to do. Please help
Answers:
I am sorry to hear of your loss. ... Most often it's just family and close friends that come to the house after the funeral. You could ask someone on your husbands side what their family tradition has been. Also ask your Mom or other persons in your family for info on how it's been done before.
Let family traditions guide your decision on when and who comes to the house. ... In some 'customs' friends or people who attend the same church bring food for any drop-ins after the funeral. ... You might even ask the pastor of the church or the church secretary for input.
Good luck. I am sure what you decide on will come off well.
the funeral is very quick, so I will assume only close family will be attending.....usually there is the return to home after the funeral, where small finger foods and tea coffee etc would be expected.
to be honest I would liaise with the funeral home as to what is the norm as I am from the UK and we do funerals a bit different..so that's going to cause a few problems later on I know.
am so VERY sorry for your loss, hope that you husband and his mum are doing as well as they can be at this time.
oh and now is the time to call on any friends you have, so they can do some of the donkey work in the back ground whilst you are making all these arrangements.
regards
I'm sorry about your father-in-law, but this totally has nothing to do with law or ethics.
Order food for the funeral and the service. People get hungry when they're in mourning.
I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law passing. I imagine it must not be the easiest time for you and your family. You have my sincere condolences.
As far as food goes, I don't think it would hurt to have food prepared for tomorrow night. You probably will have people come over for prayers and so on (depending on your religious beliefs). At least you will be prepared. Also, maybe you could contact your funeral home and they can talk you through the process. Other than that, you don't need to expect too much, just people sitting around, probably sharing a meal and talking.
I wish you the best for tomorrow and Friday.
God Bless
You mention funeral and service on two different days. In my experience, it would be the viewing of the body, first, and the funeral service the next day. You may choose to invite people back on both evenings, but usually just after the funeral, second day, are you expected to. My condolences, and take care. By the way, funeral homes have resources and written material for any other information you may require.
When my Grandmother passed away we had the visitation one night, and then the funeral the following day. The food was served at the church after the funeral(day 2). I wouldnt think you need to supply food for both days, but that is entirely up to you. Im sorry to hear about your loss.
You indicate you are having funeral tomorrow:
and the service the next day??What is the service you are referring to? Is this Jewish? Catholic? Non-church related? Will you have a minister or what will funeral involve? Need more info to answer your question:
Usual procedure in Midwest USA is
Funeral:
Followed by burial service at cemetery immediately.
Followed by family and close friends gathering at home, church facility or elsewhere for family visitation with each other. Food most often is provided by host (where family will gather) and if church related, most often church members provide-refreshments-light snacks etc.
Sometime people will bring you food. It is impossible to plan these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net