Saturday, October 31, 2009

Question About My Citizenship? Canada/US/Philippines?

Both my parents are Filipino. I was born in the Philippines, but when i was 5, my family and I migrated to Canada. During the 8 years of my residence in Toronto, Ontario, i became a Canadian citizen. When I was 12, my family migrated to the United States, where i currently live. I'm a permanent resident here in California -- legal status. My family plans to apply for US citizenship next year.
-------------
I was wondering.. If i do become a US citizen, am i considered a dual or tri citizen? Will Canada still recognize me as a Canadian? Can i still use my canadian passport once im a US citizen?
im just wondering. thank you in advance.
Answers:
Yes, you will be a tri citizen. Canada and the US allow multiple citizenship, I'm not sure about the Philippines. Each country will have restrictions on their passport, which you must follow. For example, if you fly into the US you will be required to use only the US passport. Elsewhere, you can use whichever one is most convenient or is required by local law.
Okay I just have to say the whole multiple citizenship thing irritates the hell out of me. Choose where you want to be and be a citizen but the whole acecard up your sleeve is bullshit! If a person applies for canadian citizenship then leaves and gets citizenship in the us and then wants to come back - they should be required to reapply back at the end of the line (and vice versa) no more of this revolving door policy crap - its a drain on resources unless while u are a us citizen u plan to contribute taxes to the canadian govt every year. (or vice versa for the ones who do the us first then come here)
Although I'm sure you have no nefarious plans for your tri citizenship to me it is a loophole fraught with fraud and abuse, and there is no reason to hold multiple passports to pick and choose which one to use - unless someone is attempting to hide things.
Yes, you are allowed to have multiple citizen ships' but, I'm not sure if there is a limit as to how many are allowed. Because of the ongoing terrorism problems, the laws may have changed in regards to this.
You abandon your Canadian Citizenship when you become an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net